Re: algae

Roger Miller wrote:
"We tend to ignore things that we can't observe directly, or attribute
their effects to other factors we can observe.  There is substantial
evidence that under natural conditions various sorts of microscopic phages
pose important controls on algae populations. These may be protozoans, but
many are bacterial and even viral phages.  I figure that pretty much
anytime we see algae disappear from out tanks without a change in
macroscopic grazing that we're seeing the micrograzers at work."

Sounds like a product idea to me.......if it were only possible to identify,
collect, culture, and package such things....almost along the lines of the
use of live rock and live sand in a marine reef aquarium.

I've wondered for a while why nobody has attempted to try something like
that in freshwater.

James Purchase
Toronto