Re:Flourite's best deal around

>>>With a fired clay product, such as Flourite and Profile, most of the
>minerals native to the clay from which is was made are probably locked in
>place by the heat used during processing and manufacturing. Most, but not
>all, because Profile will affect the water parameters in tanks where it is
>used (some of the Ca and Mg dissolve out of the Profile). The base clay
used
>in Flourite is much lower in Ca and Mg than that used for Profile and
>Flourite doesn't noticeably affect water quality parameters. Over time,
some
>of those locked in minerals might become available to the plants, but
>probably not many. I would prefer to think of both Flourite and Profile as
>potential long term sources of very low levels of nutrients - both probably
>need supplementation (water borne nutrients) in tanks with heavy plant
>loads.
>
>James Purchase
>Toronto
Please note the above is a small portion of the original message.
James, I think Flourite is a mined product.  Mined like laterite, not
man-made like profile.  I'm just trying to help prevent a lawsuit against
you. :)<<

The way I understand it, all clay based materials, Flourite,
Profile/Schultz, Laterite, provide oxidized minerals, iron in particular.
Fe+3 can not be used effectively by plants until it is converted to Fe+2,
which is done by organic acids and bacteria. Profile is made of Fullers
earth. I dont think Profile and Flourite are processed that much differently
from each other. Laterite can be a somewhat generic term. According to
Dupla, who is the only company that states their laterite is mined from
tropical Asia, (to my knowledge) states that they add various things to the
laterite, (please check their WEB site, I am only going by memory here)

Robert Paul H
http://www.aquabotanic.com
Where the customer matters
AB Newsletter: 720 subscribers!