Amano shrimp deaths

Hi :) (My messages havn't been posting lately, but I'm going to try anyway
:D )

I purchased 12 amano shrimp one week ago.  About four of them died (or may
have been eaten - don't know if 2-1/2" clown loaches eat shrimp) after
putting them in the tank and eight survived.  Then I did a partial water
change yesterday and they ALL died.  None of the fish in the tank were
affected - only the shrimp.  It is a newly set-up, 35 gallon nominal tank
with a DIY CO2 injector.  I do water changes straight from the tap - I did a
1/4 water change and am wondering if maybe a fluctuation in Ph caused by the
water change was what caused them to die? (the CO2 reduces the Ph of the
water from 7.5 from the tap to 7.0 in the tank - but previous Ph tests when
doing water changes showed no measureable change in the Ph - maybe the
shrimp are more sensitive? If so, then how do I do water changes without
killing these expensive little guys?

Thanks for the help :)
Carmelina