Re:Filtration Question

> Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 19:17:08 -0700
> From: Scheele Juergen <juesche at earthlink_net>
> Subject: Re:Filtration Question
>
> Diego,
> the Eheim 2215 will do just fine.
>
> If you consider to use CO2 injection,
> the biowheel on the Emperor will significantly
> increase the amount of CO2 you have to use.

I have suspected this might be true, but has anyone run a careful test to
see how much it actually changes things? I have been surprised that some
filters have less effect on CO2 rate than I would have thought, but others
much more.

I can't do it without actually buying the filter, but really would like to
know what happens, in a tank with nice smooth return water (i.e., no
splashing or large agitating drop to shock CO2 out of solution).

I would measure KH, pH and bubble count, with the biowheel operating and
stable. Then, remove the wheel and give it a day or two to stabilize.
Remeasure the above, but adjust bubble rate to get exactly the same pH at
the same times of day. The difference in bubble rate should be a pretty
decent measure of the effect of the biowheel on CO2 usage. No?

It would be delightful if the effect was minimal, for I believe the
biowheels, like a wet-dry, do a pretty good job of reoxygenating the water
after the nitrifying bacteria in the filter may have seriously depleted it.

Wright

--
Wright Huntley, Fremont CA, USA, 510 494-8679  huntley1 at home_com

        "Congress has not unlimited powers to provide
for the general welfare but only those specifically enumerated."
                                      --Thomas Jefferson

                Did you try the quiz at:

          http://www.self-gov.org/index.html ?