Re: light intensity vs. distance

Jason,

That is a major can of worms on the reef lists I read.
Yes water does slow down the transmission of light as well as removing
color from the spectrum. ( but you knew that )
Measure the length x width x how deep your water will be and shoot for
the mythical, magical 3watts per gallon.
If you really get off on a bend then Dana Riddle has a book called
Reef Tank Owners Manual that does a nice job of covering light. He
also has a great article in the last issue of PAM that might help you.
All that being said, your girlfriend may be correct,  this is a hobby
try to enjoy yourself and not get caught up in all the minutia.

Keith and Lisa                         ° o
Aquariums
www.net-link.net/~kandl/

: