Re: Filtration question

Diego,

The Ehiem should be just fine by itself depending on how many plants and fish you put in. If you're anything like me, you will probably have just a few fish to add some color and movement to the scene you've created with your metric ton of plants. In that case, just stick to the cannister. If you add lots of fish and a few plants, you may decide that you need more filtration.

The one thing you'll need to keep in mind if you do use the Penguin is that a bio-wheel adds a ton of turbulence and may "off gas" more CO2 than you'd like. Also, with your cannister, make sure your spray bar is not too close to the surface as to create too much surface agitation. I turn mine so it faces diagonally down toward the back glass. I get just a little movement on the surface (enough to keep that film to a minimum;).

Just keep up with your test kits and you should know, in a short time, whether you'll need both.

Good luck,
John Wheeler