Re:Get yer Cladophora balls

In a message dated 6/13/01 3:08:47 PM Central Daylight Time,

<<
 Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 12:12:16 -0700
 From: Thomas Barr <tcbiii at earthlink_net>
 Subject: Get yer Cladophora balls

 If anyone is interested in a Cladophora ball I do have extras. Come to the
 TN AGA meeting if your interested in obtaining one:) Never know...you might
 find some other plants too.
 Regards,
 Tom Barr

Since we are on the subject of "attractive" algae, I have an algae in one of
my tanks that grows on a piece of root wood. It grows in tufts that are
firmly attached, very slowly, and has a dark forest green color. It gets
4-5cm tall, and the attached portion is about 1cm in diameter. I made some
attempts early on to get rid of this stuff, and then just decided I kinda
like the look of it. It stays pretty much just on that peice of wood, and
occasionally a little will attach to a piece of gravel, which I just suck out
at water change. It has never spread to any of my other tanks. Recently, I
added ghost shrimp to this tank, and they eat this stuff down to a 3-4mm tall
matt, but will not finish it off. It looks much less impressive this way.
Tom, could you tell me what the name of this algae is, given my  likely inept
description? BTW, I am definitely interested in obtaining a cladophora ball,
and will be there in Tn.
Thanks for the help,
Tim, in soggy SE Texas.