Re: Cladophora

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Karen Randall wrote:

> Because of my positive experience with algae balls, I became interested when
> a friend's tank developed a beautiful growth of Cladophora on a large piece
> of driftwood.  He watched this develop over quite a long period, and the
> algae never climbed off its perch to infest other parts of the tank.

I've had an algae colony that fit this description.  It was attached to
driftwood and grew very slowly.  I don't know if it was Cladophora or not,
but it certainly was attractive.  It felt like a fur.  I used to take it
out of the tank now and then and give it a rinse and combing.  I got rid
of it eventually because I needed the space for other things.

After a couple (maybe three?) years the algae covered the entire
driftwood piece, which was only about 8 inches long and 3 inches thick.
After it covered the driftwood it did start appearing elsewhere in the
tank.  I always thought it was interesting that the only other surfaces it
colonized were the tops of porous pebbles.

Whatever mine was I think it came along with the driftwood, which I picked
up in the "mighty" Rio Grande.

Roger Miller