filter vs no filter & CO2 reactor question

Some say "you don't need a filter"  some say "use a filter".  What does a
filter add to a plant tank that plants don't already do?  I have a bio-wheel
filter, should I use the filter but take the bio-wheels off?

I am thinking of building a reactor for my CO2.  I have looked over the
archives in The Krib and I have a few questions.

Should the CO2 be injected from the top or bottom of the reactor if my water
is coming in from the top?  Should it exit at the bottom or side of the
reactor?  Should the reactor be inside of the tank or hang on the outside?

Thanks,
Dave Berryman