MY WORST NIGHTMARE JUST CAME TRUE!!!!!

I have a forty-gallon tank in my living room that is (was?) my pride and
joy. It is heavily planted, has a thriving population of Malaysan trumpet
snails and pond snails, and has one platy (that may have given birth
recently...) and two corydoras (one disappeared, so only one may be
left...). It has just developed a leak about halfway down the side! 8-O

It's an old tank (at least eight years old, maybe older). What should I
do? I have two other tanks, both bare-bottomed! I have a twenty-gallon
with a killer Betta, and a half-way set up ten gallon that was supposed
to be a hospital tank. I can put the fish in the ten-gallon, but catching
the cory would be a nightmare, not to mention that I have no place to put
the plants (both other tanks are bare-bottomed).

I was thinking about draining the water below the leak, then removing all
the sealent above the water and re-sealing it. Would this work? Would the
fumes hurt the fish/plants? Would I be able to get it dry enough...? Any
other suggestions? I'm on a budget, and I'm not ready to jump for a new
tank...

Thanks in advance,

William
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!