Fertilizing swordplants

I would like some suggestions on the best methods for fertilizing
swordplants, as I understand they absorb nutrients primarily through their
roots?? should I still maintain the same levels in the water column as I
would for stem plants? The reason I ask is that my only algae problems seem
to be those of short filamentous algae on my broad leaf swords while all
fast growing stem plants remain free.  I am currently using
flourite/laterite,PMDD and asphyxia levels of CO2.
                                                   Thanks in advance,
                                                            WILL