Eel Grass and holes in leaves

Hi

Yesterday I went to visit a friend of mine and he gave me a plant that he
called "Eel Grass". I am not familiar with this plant at all. Could someone
please let me know what its requirements are, namely; light, substrate and
fertilisation. Also I have planted it with the roots just in the soil, is
that correct?

My other problem is that I have been getting small holes in my leaves in my
3ft tank. It is a new problem, the tank has been planted for about a year. I
know it is some deficiency but I am not sure what, any help would be
appreciated.

TIA
Paul G