RE: Barclaya longifoliaflowers

Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 08:12:28 -0500
From: "Kelly Beard" <apistogramma at home_com>
Subject: RE: Barclaya longifoliaflowers

> Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 17:21:54 EDT
> From: Dgrim62 at cs_com
> Subject: Barclaya longifoliaflowers

*just a thought, what if when the seed/flower pod looked ready you stuck a
piece of an old nylon stocking around it so that you would be able to
collect the seeds instead of having them dispersed around the tank/filter
etc.  Since I never seen a pod explosion I don't know if it's just seeds or
some other gummy but it sounds like a lot of fun to try and raise the seeds.
If you could just get them to pop during the summer so you could raise them
outside and catch all of that free sunshine and heat.

Gary Lange
gwlange at mindspring_com

I don't ever remember seeing flowers from mine.  They would always send up a
supposed flower, then the flower bulb would burst open after a few days,
revealing seeds all over the place.  You can get new plants from these, but
I always cut the flower stalks off when they started to shoot up because
they leave a small mess after they've 'exploded'.