oil dry as sub for kitty litter?

I don't know where I recall seeing this, but I believe I had read that oil
dry was a similar product to kitty litter (mainly clay).
I read the bag of oildry we have here at work and it said that it contains
silicates.
Anyone have any idea if oil dry may in fact be used as a sub for kitty
litter substrates and if so, would the silicates be of any consequence - esp
for brown diatomous algae - which the small 3 gallon (?) eclipse tank is
presently suffering from.
that is why i'd like to fully plant it and take advantage of the excess
nurtrients avail.
TIA
Joe