Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #1039

In a message dated 5/22/01 4:01:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,

<< Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 11:09:41 EDT
 >From: TD7894 at aol_com
 >Subject: Re:freaked out over shrimp!
 >Hello fellow fish keepers! I know that you won't mind this slightly
 strange post. About four or five months ago, I bought four of those
 amano shrimp to put in my planted 38. These are not ghost shrimp, but
 the fancy, somewhat expensive algae eating sort. I decided to quarantine
 them because I am paranoid about disease. Well, all but one quickly died
 of unknown cause. I dropped the remaining shrimp in the 38. When I
 didn't see him anywhere for a couple of months I thought he was dead.
 Then two weeks ago, I saw a HUGE molted shell on top of the driftwood
 log. It was eaten within hours by snails, so I knew he must have left it
 the previous night. Last night I saw a weird looking projection on my
 log just at lights out. I thought, hey I've never seen that before, is
 my log falling apart? Then it moved it's antennae!! It was my shrimp!!
 He was HUGE, and dark chocolate brown with a mahogany tail. He looked
 almost as big as a crawdad. Now every single picture in books and on the
 net has these shrimp sort of clearish gray with a couple of teensy
 maroon spots, sort of the same color as ghost shrimp. How come he turned
 brown? He perfectly matches the log and lives in a crack in it, coming
 out at night to eat algae. Anyway, rejoice with me, my shrimp lives!!
 Thanks Teresa.

 --- >>

It sounds like you bought immature wood shrimp. At least what you describe
sounds like a wood shrimp. Can you send me a picture of this shrimp?

Moon