Re: Frogbit, how to have it and other plants live

On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 05:06:52PM -0400, CDELAHUNT at aol_com wrote:
> The frogbit collects in one area of the tank and I worry that the plants
> below them are not getting enough light any more.  How much of the tank do
> you let it take over before you cull some out?

Basically this is your call - if you feel it is 'robbing' too much
light from the plants below, you remove some. Experiment a little;
move the stuff around, take more away one week than you did the
previous week, etc, and see what works best for your tank.

> Also since the frogbit is so close to the light, it seems to be
> getting a bit of sunburn (dark brown spots).

This is normal. Or at least it does the same thing in my tank.

>  Another thing -- there are teeny tiny flea-like bugs sitting on top
> of the frogbit, what are they, and are they harmful?

Well the bugs *didn't* come with the frogbit! Or at least I didn't get
any. ;-)

> Also, my tank used to bubble like crazy, especially when I did a water
> change, and now it doesn't at all -- is this due to the frogbit, or more
> likely some other reason?

Maybe yes, maybe no. It's easy to find out, however ... next time you
do a water change, pull all the frogbit out first (into a bowl or
bucket) for awhile and see how your other plants react.

>  All the plants seem to be doing pretty well, or at
> least nothing is rotting or dying at the moment (my definition of success --
> LOL!).

If the plants are doing well, I wouldn't worry about them not
pearling. My tank rarely pearls these days but the plants are growing
like crazy.

dan
--
Dan Resler                            email: dresler at vcu_edu
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences