White Christmas in My Tank

I set up a new 50 gal last Sunday and got it half planted.  After a couple
of days, I took my first readings.  The tank KH was undiscernable and pH was
<6.0, beyond the range of all my pH tests.  I was baffled.  My little 7 gal.
is about 6.8 pH and KH of 4-5 deg. last I checked. So, I decided to check
the tapwater.  turns out it's currently neutral and has an undiscernable KH.
  (I figured the drop to <6.0 pH in the new tank was due to two pieces of
bogwood and the CO2 I was playing with).

I had to do something.  So, I turned off the C02 and added a couple of
teaspoons of crushed coral into my canister filter.  After 2 days, the
readings remained about the same:  pH about 6.0 and KH still undiscernable.

Deciding the crushed coral wasn't cutting it, I went to the homebrew store
and got some food grade CaCO2.  This stuff has been pulverised to the
consistency of flour and cheap ($1.25 or so for 5 oz.).  I took 2
teaspoonsful (Karen Randall suggested in earlier posts that 1/2 tsp brings
the KH of 50l up by 1 deg. and I have something like 200l) and stirred it
into a pitcher filled with the tank water.  I had no idea how much would
dissolve and the answer was very little.  Determined to press on, I poured
the pitcher into the tank.  I got a beautiful colloidal suspension and
everything dissapeared into a milky white cloud.  Damn!  That was last
night.

This morning the water has cleared and the CaCO3 partially dissolved and
partially settled.  The tank looks either (and take your pick) like someone
had split a whole bunch of blow into it, or a twisted aquascaper's idea of a
winter wonderland with tropical plants.  Everything is coated in a thin
white powder like (here another one!) a made up geisha.  Okay, I exaggerate,
but its powdery out there!  pH is over 8.0 and KH between 1-2 deg.  I figure
KH will keep rising as the CaCo3 dissolves.  To counteract the pH, I've
turned on the CO2.

Well, it sure has been fun so far.  Luckily I don't have any fish in the
tank yet; I don't know how fish would have taken the white cloud.  Probably
not very good for gills.  I hope I can get the water stabilized soon.  The
wife and kids keep bugging me about when I going to get fish in!