Re: BGA

> Hi. I'm really enjoying the bga discussion, if anyone wants to discuss it
> further let's do so off list.  I doubt if the rest of the list cares about
> microbiology, clinical infectious disease, relative professional
> qualification, etc...
> Happy fish keeping, Laurel

Does it matter if you produce an antibiotic resistant cyano(relative to the
tank)? Will your tank die or something?

You can get rid of it by other means unlike many infectious diseases:)
And most tanks do indeed get rid of it. One way or another. Suppression is
about the best anyone can hope for. Sterile tanks don't last long.

And these methods help the plants and do not cost 20$ for a bottle of 100
tablets. Hey, I've been all for a much more judicious use of antibiotics for
quite some time. It's added to our food supply. It's given without
prescriptions(pets-us! and Foreign countries etc). Don't complain about a
few tanks of cyano's compared to your local food supply. Wanna get active,
get active there. Get organic.

Since your curious our tank genera is Oscillatoria. Never seen a sample
without it in there. So even if you do add antibiotics, it's extremely
likely they'll be right back. Hopefully you've change the environment so
they are not a problem once again. In well run tanks they do not cause much
grief. It's been quite some time since I used antibiotics on a tank and see
no need for them for this little beast. A tank was fully treated and I
received a sample 35 days later and of course there was some in there. A
net, old pipette, a water line above were the treated water is etc. just
about a dozen things in and around the tank could add it back into the tank.
So are the antibiotics really solving anything other than immediate
problems? Seems not to be the best method out there. I don't need it. It
works though. Just another tool. How you use it is up to you. There are
other methods to get rid of it beside this though.

Regards,
Tom Barr