mechanism for rooting of Echinodorus?

Staring at The Tank last night I began wondering how Echinodorus
sp. get rooted in 'the wild'. I have an E. bleheri with a plantlet
coming off of the stalk that is getting totally out of hand - it has
about 40 leaves most of which are around 6" in length. It's also
getting quite a root ball, the longest roots having a length of around
8".

In a stream, how would this monster get rooted? As plantlets get
bigger do they provide more of a surface area for moving water and
eventually get pushed over to the substrate where they root? Or do
their roots eventually reach the substrate and somehow the plantlet
gets pulled down? Maybe the stalk eventually just collapses, sending
the plantlet on it's merry way? Or in a current the plantlet would
eventually detach on its own?

Or some combination of all-of-the-above?

Just curious.

dan
--
Dan Resler                            email: dresler at vcu_edu
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences