Re: Diluting TMG

Digest #1000 and counting....

Daphne Freeman <daphne.freeman at home_com> wrote:
> Subject: Re:  Diluting TMG
>
> On a similar note to diluting TMG in water, I was considering using either a
> dosing pump (Spectrapure LiterMiter possibly) or similar apparatus (M3 has a
> Liquidoser that might work) to automatically fertilize my tank. I considered
> adding solution to an auto-water changer/top-off system but since several
> inches of water will stay in reservoir it might throw things off.  In order
> to avoid having several pumps, I was curious if mixing TMG, Seachem
> Potassium and Flourish Iron together and dosing it as one solution would be
> "bad"?  I wasn't planning to dilute it with water or anything, just mix them
> in a reservoir and dose.    As the solution sits there (for a week, a
> month... etc) will some interaction occur that is undesirable?

I would advise against mixing all three together straight. TMG isn't
close to a saturation point, it's little amounts of micros in solution.
I've never used Seachem K or Flourish Fe, but the website says K
is 40,000mg/L and Fe is 10,000mg/L. TMG has Fe at 700 mg/L.
Mixing the three may not cause any problems, but it just might. If a
saturation point is met somewhere, you'll have stuff falling out and
you'll lose some of the fertilizer. It may even clog a line with "salt"
crystals. If you add the three to water at a ratio of say, 1/10, then
they might stay together with no problem, but you'll have to dose
10X as much. I would try that instead mixing them together right
out the bottles.

Jamie    <"\\\><  Aquatic plants, water chemistry, and cichlids
                  http://www.ais-gwd.com/~jjirons