Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #993

>Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 11:51:15 -0700
>From: Mo! Langdon <maureen at pacbell_net>
>Subject: Un-carboning Eclipse Filters
>
>Neal De Pape writes:
>
> >   Also, I have a Marineland Eclipse tank and I would
> >   like to quit using the Marineland filters, because I
> >   don't like using carbon with my tanks.  Has anyone
> >   ever come up with a homemade alternative?  I've tried
> >   just using polyester batting but it slows the flow too
> >   much and the water overflows and bypasses the batting.
>
>I've been trying to figure my way out of a similar situation: I don't
>mind the carbon, but I do need to get rid of it if I have to medicate
>the fishies. If I could just find the right place underneath to cut
>the hole(s) to let the carbon out and leave the attached batting
>alone, I think I'd have it...

When I was using the eclipse filters, I used large Aquaclear sponges that go
in the Aquaclear 500 to replace the carbon filters that come with Eclipse.
Just cut the sponges in half.  When you medicate and want to remove the
meds, add a Eclipse carbon filter and then replace it with the sponge.
Worked great.  I even replaed the biowheel with some sponge to make it so
less CO2 would be driven off.

Bailin