Re: Killer ghost shrimp!

> Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 20:22:38 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Scott <zerelli at yahoo_com>
>
> Ok, I would not have believed this if I had not just
> watched it happen. In my 125 I have a stand of asian
> ambulia. I was pleasantly surprised to see a baby
> cardinal tetra swimming about in it. As I watched it
> suddenly thrashed  about. Upon closer examination I
> saw that it ahd been ambushed by a ghost shrimp! This
> large shrimp was perched high in the plant near the
> surface, and when the fry swam by it grabbed it it and
> ate it. Wierd.

I've had ghost shrimp kill and eat mollie fry -- rather large mollie
fry.  I also suspect that the shrimps kill each other when the are
molting and vulnerable. I have seen a large ghost shrimp attack and kill
a slightly smaller one just minutes after I added the smaller shrimp to
the tank.  I didn't know those tiny pinchers were so effective.

Best regards,
Bob