Re: Testing and NO3

> I realized after I had sent this that I hadn't added
> any potassium nitrate in a month or so.  I thought it
> would last longer but when I checked the water my
> nitrates read 0.  I stopped adding because the first
> time I tried it I added just a little and overdosed
> and my nitrates were at 80 ppm.  Any idea of the
> proper dose and frequency for a 29 gallon to bring the
> nitrates from 0 to about 5-10?  It seems the
> measurment must be very tiny.  Right now I'm dosing
> TMG at 5 ml twice a week.  How much is a safe
> increase?  Thanks!
> Beverly

If it's a spherical rounded shape KNO3(Grant's or Cooke's etc) about 1/4
teaspoon will yield close to 7ppm of NO3. But you need see how much your
tanks uses on a weekly basis.

You can do it another way. You can add 2 doses of 1/8 teaspoon 2x a week and
then do a big water change, say 50-70% and keep doing this with very little
effects on your tank NO3 build up since you remove most the NO3 after the
water changes.
This way nothing gets to far out of hand. Not bad idea for folks who cannot
test or don't want to.
I had a 20 gallon up to 75 ppm. No problems but only kept it for a couple of
weeks. Decided that was enough once I caught it:) Many folks, myself
included add way too much of stuff the first few times. Some folks are too
conservative....I try both when I get an idea to see how far things can be
"stretched". You can get away with a lot if the light, CO2 and water changes
are done well.
Do not get scared of feeding plants though. Many folks are scared of PO4 or
NO3 or CO2. They had one bad experience and that's it for them. They toss in
the towel. Do not give up. It does work and you can find that balance either
through testing and or water changes etc. There's always a way around
things. Some paths are harder and bumpier than others though.

Regards,
Tom Barr