Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #982

> Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 20:02:23 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Vincent Chye <mtchye at perthmail_com>
> Subject: SAEs larger the lazier:)
>
> To the poster who just bought a 3" SAE, I do find that as they get larger,they
> will tend to eat algae less and less. Even at a small size ~ 1inch or less,
> they would be the last fish to starve in my tank, they are not shy at all and
> go straight for any food I put inthe tank.

One may tend to think that they become non-grazing freeloaders as they
mature. But in my tank at least, that wasn't the case. I had two older
Siamensis (approaching the 5.5" mark), and as with any creature, they got
old and died. A green hairy variety started to make it's presence known.

Locally, there wasn't an SAE to be had anywhere so I had to wait. Finally I
got some, but they needed to be quarrantined for a month or so before I'd
plunk them in the 75G. Within a week after introduction, the hairy algae was
gone and continues to be gone some 2 months later.

Will they eat anything your serving up for dinner for the other fish? Yep,
sure will. No creature is going to turn down an easy meal.

Will they do what we want them to do, keeping hairy algae at bay even as
they get older? In my case they did.

Susan