Re: Lobelia

> Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 09:54:30 -0700
> From: "The Bodin's" <bodin1 at gte_net>
> Subject: Lobelia cardinalis
>
> Lobelia cardinalis....
>
> I have a plant out by (not in) my pond, that has beautiful long maroon
> leaves and every summer it gives off bright red flower stalks. When I bought
> it the nursery called it "Lobelia cardinalis". Is this the same stuff
> (Lobelia cardinalis) that grows with nickel-sized green leaves in the
> aquarium?
>
> TIA,
>
> - - Jeff

There's two forms. You want the Small form. That's the large form(the one
you have). Great plant for out in the garden though. There's some small
floating around in the USA these days. I brought some in about 4 years or so
ago. A LFS in the Bay Area gets it in often now from Singapore. It's very
easy to grow and very nice. The other plants is taller and gangly IMO. The
Dutch tanks use the small form(generally). The other large form will do fine
and all but it will not give you the look most expect. The small form adapts
better to aquariums from the attempts I've done in the past with both forms.
Regards,
Tom Barr