Re: Why do SAE's die so easly

"David Berryman" <dberryman7479 at mediaone_net> wrote:
> I have owned about 20 SAE's in the year and a half my tank has been up, and
> all of them die with in about 2 months.  I do not know what I am doing wrong
> if anything.  Has any one else had this problem?  Are they hard to keep
> alive?

Dave,
   I've never had any problems other than them (1) jumping out of a not-quite-sealed tank,
(2) getting too big for my small tank, and (3) less willing to nibble algae because of the
zuchini I feed to the ancistrus (I did have trouble keeping small ancistrus until zuchini
supplements).  I've got one pair that's a few years old.  My tank parameters are middle of
the road in every regard, though I do do weekly ~30% water changes and feed relatively
lightly.  Perhaps there's not enough for them to eat in your tank?  Or are they coming to
you with some disease -- do you quarantine new arrivals at all?  I'm sure others will help
with other comments, but I doubt anyone will say they're fragile.  If there's more than
one source available to you, perhaps you could try a different one.

Alex
Rockville, Md