Re: UV's and a waste of $

Firstly thanks Tom for the helpful suggestions.

I was in fact a bit wary of the Azoo product but I have heard they have a
good reputation (maybe nto in the US because you guys dont really have the
products there yet) but yes it did clear my water crystal clear as it
claimed.. took about 5 hours and hasnt harmed any fish or plants..  Now lets
see if it can stay like that... for $12 I am pretty happy as compared to
$300 for a UV

>>Is well polished crystal clear sterile water a waste? Is buying snake oils
>>waste?

Buying a UV is a waste as here the cheapest ones are around $300 Aus ..
might not be much to the people from the US but because the Aus dollar is so
low it makes everything expensive for us (especially when you are a
student).  I am not goign to dish out $300 for a UV sterilizer that I will
use once.. im nto saying the greenwater wont come back but in all my other
tanks where it magically dissappeared it has never reappeared until now just
in this tank.

>>But the real problem is why the GW started up in the first place.....
>>It's not bad for your plants and all but it likes to hang out even after
you
>>correct things and do water changes. Black out can work especially after a
>>big water change. As soon as you do a big water change, Drop the blanket
on
>>there's for 3 days or 4. Add two blankets to be sure no light is making it
>>in if you have too. Cost= nothing. Snake oil = $.

Been there done that.. 90% water change 2 week tank black out with heavy
black blankets.. took them off and the water was still hazy... did another
90% water change.. 3 days later back to where I started.  Cost nothing but
didnt work for me.

>>Yes, it's called good nutrient management and filtration. Do that and you
>>don't get GW.
>>Add CO2 well.
>>Make sure the filter does not get clogged.
>>Do not toss in a bunch of NPK and/or disturb the substrate too much in a
>>rich high light tanks....etc without water changes to lower these spikes.
>>Uncycled tanks that are not yet mature will get it.
>>It doesn't "magically appear". There's a reason. Once established it can
>>live on almost no nutrients at all compared to the inputs and leftovers
from
>>the plants, fish and gravel.

CO2 is added well.. 2 x 2L DIY bottles into my filter intake.. platns goign
crazy bubbling.. actually haev to measure the co2 level.  Filter is cleaned
periodically and does not get to the clogged stage (eheim professional).
Don't add nitrate, or phosphate.. add some pottasium via k2so4.  My tank
could be considered high light (180W/50gal) and I havent realyl disturbed
the substrate since I started.  The tank has been setup for 6 months so I
assume it is cycled and it is pretty full of fast growing plants.

>>Learn how to deal with light, CO2 and nutrients. If your cheap, blackout.
If
>>your well heeled, UV and or micron filtration(40$ or so and up). Both
work.
>>If your a bio-back to nature person, Daphnia. etc. There are more ways to
>>cure GW than any other algae in tanks.

Well black out didnt work for me, UV and microns are way to expensive here,
can't find daphnia anywhere (will ahve to go on a collecting expedition).

The Azoo product DID work, DID do what it said, DIDNT harm my fish or plants
and was only $12.. I know I might not have cured the cause but hopefully my
plants will get the leg up on the algae before it can strike back.. if not
it will definately be the daphnia..

>>Stay away from "snake oils and cure all's".
>>That IS a waste of YOUR money!

Just want to say again the Azoo product worked excellently and I am very
happy and it is not a snake oil.

Thanks again Tom for your helpful suggestions :)

Jon
Perth, Western Australia