Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 07:13:49 -0700
From: Wright Huntley <huntley1 at home_com>
Subject: Re:...(and question about CF lighting)

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 18:59:49 -0400
> From: "Sylvia Kohler" <skohler at entermail_net>
> Subject: Re: Can't kill this greenwater ! HELP :) (and question about CF
lighting)

snip...

> I wanted to make a note of this to Laura, who is contemplating the amount
of
> light to put over her tank. Too much of a good thing is not necessarily
just
> more of a good thing. It can just be a headache. Get it right from the
> start.

I'd like to second Sylvia on that one, and add a warning.

The AH design is truly efficient, when installed properly. Our old rules of
thumb need some modification for them.

Where NO fluorescents might have done well at 2-4W/G, and T8s at a bit less,
the CFs with the well-designed reflectors are at least 150% as bright, if
not more. I'd guess an upper limit of 2W/G might be more reasonable, with
more just likely to be a problem in some area, as nutrients become difficult
to balance.

I sent one tank into real algae trouble, with a 40W AH kit over a 15G Tall
(10G footprint), and the only thing that finally brought it back was
reducing the illumination. A pair of AH 13s might be just right, there. [The
15W T8 in a white-lined hood is clearly nowhere near enough light.]

I was doing other experiments on that tank, so this anecdote isn't proof. It
was enough to convince me that the AH kits make it very easy to overdo the
light. More of a good thing certainly buys problems.

Wright