Re: Question about AHSupply Lighting

>Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 09:00:38 -0600
>From: "Laura Czerwiec" <fishystuff at hotmail_com>
>
>Hello!  My name is Laura.  I've been lurking for awhile learning a lot of
>great stuff (thanks!), and now I have a question regarding the lights from
>AH Supply.  I have a 75 gallon tank, 48" long, which I've just set up.  I
>want a planted aquarium, and I'm wondering what my best choice for lights
>would be.  I am considering the 4x55 setup that AH Supply offers, would
this
>be adequate for my tank?  I was considering the 2x96 setup, but I don't
>think that this is enough light.  Please give me your ideas and
suggestions.

We have 4x55 on a 100 gallon tank and the light is MORE than adequate -
literally. I know everyone says "2-3 watts per gallon" is the minimum but
remember that thumb rule was developed back in the "old days" before good
quality lights and excellent reflectors were available (like those from AH
Supply). And, of course, everyone "knows" that more is better, so 4-5 watts
per gallon should be wonderful, right?

Wrong!  I would recommend no more than 150 watts of good quality light for
your 75. Three x 55 with one centered in the middle like:

Definitely go with AH Supply - one of the good guys in white hats.

Happy trails,
George

George Booth in Ft. Collins, CO (booth at frii dot com)
The web site for Aquatic Gardeners by Aquatic Gardeners
  http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts/