Re: Can't kill this greenwater ! HELP :) (and question about CF lighting)

Hi Jon & Laura,

I've had 2 tanks here with greenwater for a long time. One tank, a 10 gallon
on a bay window shelf has persisted since setup last summer. I've ripped it
apart, boiled sand, added more sand, packed it with plants, and left it
without fish. All I ever got was green water. Somehow the plants survive in
there, even grow, but nothing much to look at.

Another tank was a 29 gallon. I installed some time ago 2x55 compact
flourescents over it. After a couple of happy weeks of watching plants
pearling (was it that long? maybe just a week) it turned green. With the
exception of a day here and there, it was essentially green.

Today, neither tank is green. Here was my remedy:

In the 10 gallon, I removed filtration and heater and threw in a scoop of
daphnia. I figured it would take them a while to get the tank clean, and in
fact was concerned that the green water would kill them off, as it was quite
dense. I've had daphnia crash in very green water in the past. I had read
that some green water algaes can smother daphnia, and I figured my brand was
not to their liking. (I've actually been feeding the daphnia tank, which is
situated right next to my green water tank, with spirulina powder & yeast.
duh) Well, to my surprise, within approx 3 to 4 days, the tank was CLEAR. I
am now _feeding_ the daphnia in this planted tank. Maybe one day I'll put
fish in there, but I'm pretty sure it will turn green without the daphnia.
Besides, what's wrong with keeping a daphnia & plant tank? The only problem
there is I have soft water--so I upped the hardness.

The 29 gallon tank was not much of a head scratcher either. I've had 2 x 40
watt compact flourescent bulbs sitting here just in case. I've had to rewire
the homemade canopy I made eventually anyway, so I decide to complete the
project, and wire it for 2 x 40 watt bulbs as opposed to 2 x 55 watt bulbs.
I ripped everything out, roots and all, because the tank was so overgrown
that plants were trailing all over the surface, yet the tank was still
green. In any case, when the tank cleared up from the murk, it was clear and
has remained so. The only problem is I'm getting some staghorn now and that
tufty stuff that grows on the gravel. But no green water. Which is a nice
thing, because this tank is reserved for what I consider the most attractive
plants, which, during the greenwater days, rendered them virtually invisible
to the viewer.

I wanted to make a note of this to Laura, who is contemplating the amount of
light to put over her tank. Too much of a good thing is not necessarily just
more of a good thing. It can just be a headache. Get it right from the
start.

Good luck to both,

Sylvia