FFF -- What did I just see? (OT)

I just got home from an Easter celebration tonight and saw something unusual.  I took a
glance in my tank and happened to notice my male FFF and it looked like some white milky
substance was coming out of his gills.  I did a double take and sure enough, I saw him do
it again and the stuff appear to come out of his gills.  The female was close by so I
assume that this was mating behavior and that the male was depositing milt over the
female's eggs.  But I did not see any eggs in the area and why would the milt appear to be
coming out of his gills?  Has anyone observed something like this before?

Thanks for any help.

--

John Pflum, Jr.
PKG Consultants, Inc.