Re: Hardness, Calcium, Magnesium

I wrote:

>> Not quite. There is no such compound as Magnesium carbonate
>> (MgCO3).

Roger, David and others replied:

>MgCO3 is the mineral magnesite.  It isn't especially common but it can
>be mined in large quantities.  That still has nothing to do with the
>hardness calculation.

Well, I was taught to never say NEVER, so my bad...Maybe what I
should've said is that's it's not all that common and comes in many
hydrated, hydroxy configurations. After checking a few sources, I found all
kinds of combos, like the ones David listed, but pure MgCO3 is still kind of
rare.

Roger Miller

Jamie    <"\\\>< Aquatic plants, water chemistry, and cichlids
Greenwood, SC     http://www.ais-gwd.com/~jjirons