DIY CO2 mini-disaster and request for help

I'm not sure just evening out the peaks and valleys is enough.  You need to
generate much less CO2 for that tank for it to be safe.  My recipe for a 20
gallon tank is the amount of sugar (2 cups) and size container you used,
with 1/2 t. of yeast and same of baking soda.  When this solution first
goes on line it puts out the maximum amount of CO2 recommended in the
charts I've looked at (high 20's mg/l).  It's enough that I've got an
airstone on a timer so it comes on for a while in the wee hours to blow off
some of the CO2 just in case.  I've recently set up a 10G and have the
jello recipe going for it, but used the recommendation of someone on this
list and mixed 1 cup of sugar, 1 small jello package, and 1/4 t. yeast.
Once again that recipe is generating a pretty maximum amount of CO2 for
that size tank, and I mixed it up and it sat for a couple of weeks before I
got it on the tank, so it's close to a month old right now.

Ellen O'Connell
Parker, Colorado
mailto:oconnell_wadeash at ix_netcom.com