Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #951

Hi all,

I´m new to this mailing list since I´m just now setting up my first tank
after a 15 year long hiatus. Since my last time around a lot of things has
happened to this hobby. To say the least.

This CO2 business for one thing. Adding CO2 to a tank was, as far as I
know, more or less unheard of back then, and now everybody seems to do it.

Having caught up with things - reading Amano and other litterature - I´m
curious to try it. But I´m reluctant to buy a $400 machine straight away.
And equally reluctant toward the DIY reactor method (the horror stories at
The Krib kinda scared me).

So. Does anyone here have any experience of adding carbonated water by the
bottle to the tank?
My idea would be to set up an inexpensive home soda-maker and carbonate tap
water in bottles
and then pouring it in - say one half litre bottle twice a week.

Would a set-up like that work?
Would it do any good (as compared to the other methods, that is)?
Would it be harmful to the fish (ie. will there be a dangerous CO2 spike if
I add relatively large amounts like this from time to time).

Any experince, tips, hints etc. would be helpful.
I read about Amano at least having tried pouring Perrier straight into the
tank,
but I´m not sure that makes it a good idea.
Doing it my way would at least mean there wouldn´t be any other potentially
harmful minerals
or trace substances in the water.

Any and all thought on this would be great.

Thanks a lot,

Fredrik Agetoft
Stockholm
Sweden