Dosing NH4 or NO3?

Hello,
in the moment is running a discussion concerning dosing PO4 and NO3 (if
necessary). My tank has a deficit of NO3 and PO4 too, due to lot of plants,
bright light and a moderate fishload. So I decided to dose PO4 and NH4
additionally. I use a solution of (NH4)2HPO4, Ammoniumhydrogenphosphat.
But my question is this: If there is a nitrogen deficit, is it better to
dose NH4 than NO3 or not? I heard, for plants it is easier to utilize NH4
because they need less energy to get to Nitrogen as it is with NO3. Is this
true? If "Yes", why do the most folks dose NO3 and not NH4?
Thanks for reply,
Klaus.