Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #947

> Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 02:32:56 -0700
> From: Thomas Barr <tcbiii at earthlink_net>
> Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #946
>
> > Tom Barr wrote:
> >
> >> Your P and Fe are a little low. BBA is almost -always a CO2 problem.
NO3
> >> additions deletions won't do anything if your water is the way you say.

Adding nitrate to my tank has always stunted BBA growth due to the fact it
likes high phosphorus. This algae always loves conditions in which Nitrate
becomes the limiting factor, since the plants no longer utilize Phosphorus,
if P and N is low this algae will not grow. I've noticed that this algae
ONLY grows in areas where Phosphorus is quite high, especially where there
is LOTS of deterious under the gravel, I did a test by moving a lot of the
deterious into certain places and the algae would only grow on top of the
gravel in those spots, once it was cleaned, it vanished.

> > Try to keep your pH between 7.0 and 7.2 at most and that
> >> should take care of it.
> >
> > I'll raise the CO2 level. Any target to shoot for in pH? 7.0? I'm at pH
7.2

I have had BBA at 7.6+ pH, as far as I can tell it doesn't benifit from CO2,
however if you do use Co2 nitrates are going to be depleted a lot more and
leaving excess Phosphorus allowing the algae to grow. Some people also claim
that this algae likes high concentrations of Fe, but I have well over 2ppm
Fe and as long as I regularly add nitrate, it doesn't grow, I also use
Natural Sunlight instead of any artifical lighting, the bad thing about this
though is the tank doesn't look that pretty, sort of yellow, and the fish
colors look dull and dark in the front.

> > now.
>
> A low of 7.0 and a high of 7.2 if you can. SAE's will help greatly.

I have one SAE had he's never touched the stuff, part of the problem is I
cannot starve him, I feed my oto's zucchini and he loves it as well and my
oto's are already starved. And sometimes he'll be sneaky and take flakes
when I feed my other fish.

> Watch what it does(the pH).
> Keep good overall nutrient levels as best you can.
> Anubias and sword etc are quite prone to BBA as they make excellent
> substrates for this algae. Try to reduce the numbers and replace with fast
> growing stem plants.

I added Anachris and it only stunted the growth of BBA and killed off all
the other algaes. BBA can last sometimes months after you correct
conditions. Some people report taking BBA out of the water and put it back
in after a few months and it continues to grow.

Replace later after the BBA has gone. I think Tom Wood
> mentioned driftwood. It can make a great place for algae to grow but the
> pine you have not especially good for it. Pleco's will keep most any wood
> surface clean. Cleaning dead object(rocks, equipment etc) with bleach is a
> good idea to reduce the amount.
> Regards,
> Tom Barr

I'm a firm believer in Hydrogen Peroxide. I dose 15ml per 10 gallons
directly onto the BBA and it starts bubbling and a few days later it's gone.
You have to spray directly over it otherwise it doesn't do any good, (not
enough concentration if you just add it to the water) and no ill effects
from my fish ever. I sprayed it the other day on my driftwood, and it
bubbled so much it looks like a champagne glass.

- Matt