Re: BBA

> From: "allan Mlodick" <allangm at hotmail_com>
> Subject: Nitrate levels
>
> One of my planted tanks is just beginning to show BBA. I had originally
> brought it under control, by hit or miss dosing of PMDD. But it has come
> back and I am now wondering if I can control it by increasing my Nitrate
> level.
>
> The tank H2O parameters are:
> KH - 10
> GH - 10
> pH - 7.2
> temp - 77-78F
> PO4 - 0.05ppm
> Nitrite - 0.0
> NH3 - 0.0
> NO3 - 2.0 - 5.0ppm
> Fe - <0.01ppm
> 110W PC lighting 12hr/day
> CO2 injection into Fluval 303 at a rate of 1 bubble/2 sec.
> Tank is heavily planted, with medium fish load.Flourish and Fe,Zn,MG,Cu
> trace mixture added once per week. Potassium Chloride, Magnesium Sulfate and
> Boric Acid also added.

Your P and Fe are a little low. BBA is almost always a CO2 problem. NO3
additions deletions won't do anything if your water is the way you say.
Is your CO2 yeast? Try to keep your pH between 7.0 and 7.2 at most and that
should take care of it. You have to keep up on it for awhile but the algae
will likely fall off or turn white if you do. Add some SAE's if BBA is
light. Most of the other things sound good. You could likely just add the
SAE's alone to solve it but adding some more CO2 wouldn't hurt.

Regards,
Tom Barr