Medical flow regulators

I bought a 8 l.p.m. medical oxygen regulator/flowmeter on eBay for $15.
The cylinder fitting looks like it is attached with 1/4" pipe threads.
I'm gonna try to convert it to CO2 and see if it will adjust to a low
enough stable flow rate without an additional fine metering valve.
Since the output guage looks like a pressure guage calibrated for flow
rather than a
floating ball type flowmeter, I assume the regulator has a fixed
metering orifice and the flow rate is set by adjusting the pressure.  I
haven't received the regulator yet, and I'll report back later how it
works (or doesn't work).  Here's a picture:
http://images.honesty.com/imagedata/h/121/29/31212920.jpg

Wish me luck (thanks),
Bob