Re: American-flag fish aggression

Roger Miller wrote:

> Cathy Hartland, are you reading?  You reported that your American-Flag
> fish were perfectly mild-mannered.  What are your tank conditions?

I had not reported earlier because all my test kits are at work for a
new tank I've set up. It's been awhile since I tested the flag fish
tank, but it usually runs around KH=4 and pH = 6.8 - 7.0. CO2
injected, heavily planted, well-lit. Moderate to heavy stocking of
tank - other residents are: one SAE, 5 corydoras hastatus, 4 cory
pygmaeus, 1 aspidoras pauciradiatus, 3 ancient rummynose
tetras, 7 gold tetras, 9 rasbora hengeli, 2 flag fish, one wood
shrimp that I haven't seen since I put it in the tank a month ago.
There is some algae in the tank for them to nibble, but not very
much. I feed them tetramin tabs, shrimp pellets and the occasional
grindal worms - they don't go to the surface to eat.

Honest, they are the most timid fish in the tank. They bother no
one. They sometimes nibble the micranthemum, for which I am
grateful. The male is more timid than the female - he waits for her
to probe the area for safety before he'll come out. They have not
mated, to my knowledge. I haven't a clue why some people have so
much trouble with them.

Cathy Hartland
http://www.nfis.com/~hartland/aqua/aquaria.html