[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: yet another algae ...

> From: "Christopher M. Roe" <chris at kelanet_com>
> Subject: yet another algae problem....
> Here's yet another algae problem question....

Oh goody:)
> I have a 90 gal planted tank that has developed one serious
> problem with a
> bright green algae that;
> #1)  seems to "spore" and has covered everything from the
> glass to even the
> new plant growth a day after it emerges,
> #2)  is not touched by my otos, any of my 3 species of plecos,
> and 2 species
> of flying foxes, and
> #3)  is not responding to any of my "natural" efforts to
> control it.

Try scaping it off as best you can, then immeditely do a water
change(a big one!). Add a UV or better yet borrow a UV. Micro
filter the water etc. Treat like Green water. Try blackout for 3
I think I saw what you have this week at a friends place. Crazy
stuff. We scraped some off the glass and about two hours later
it had already formed a nice film right where we scraped! 2
hours...We tested the water for NO3, CO2 etc. Nothing off line
really. Got me thinking and head scratching. 
> I do not know what kind of algae it is, but it started after I
> had given my
> tank a major overhaul, and I started using 220 watts of
> compact fluorescent
> lighting.  

He had a similar situation.

> Initially, after installing these lights, the
> photo-period was at
> 12hrs. During the overhaul of the tank, I had changed the
> water about 200%,
> so there was NO ammonia, nitrates, nitrite, etc...and the pH
> was 7.25.
> Because I do have a heavy fish load in this tank, I monitored
> the chemicals
> carefully for the next few days to make sure the plants were
> taking care of
> any ammonia build-up, which they were.  While the plants were
> responding
> nicely, I noticed some small specs of bright green algae
> growing on the
> glass of the tank.  Not thinking much of it at first, in a few
> days it had
> started to spread rapidly. My next move is something I wish I
> could take
> back.  In a moment of incredible stupidity and lack of
> judgement, I decided
> to simply use a razor blade to scrape it off the glass.  When
> I did so, it
> came off the glass is what looked like a "powder," it
> disintegrated into a
> dust that spread to every corner, nook and cranny of the tank,
> and began to
> grow where-ever it landed.  Now it has blanketed everything!

Is it a film? Slimy and semi soft?
> I reduced the photo-period to 8 hours, the KH is about 6, GH
> is 2-3, the CO2
> keeps the pH at about 6.75, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, and
> phosphorus are
> extremely low to zero, and the algae is still growing and
> spreading to the
> new plant growth.  The plants and fish are doing fine- plants
> are bubbling
> and fish as happy as ever.  The water itself is sparkling
> clear.  The only
> filtration I have is a small "hang-on-the-back-of-the-tank"
> type that I only
> have filter media in to remove any particulate matter that may
> appear in the
> tank and to diffuse the CO2 with.

Well the NO3 and the PO4 may be a key. I got a sample of this
algae to take home and look at. It's an interesting type to me
personally. Herbivores cannot keep up with the growth rates I
saw not matter what. There were extremely low nutrient levels
somewhat like GW. But this stuff is attached.
> So I throw this to the masses in hopes of a solution other
> than costly
> chemicals or starting over. Thanks in advance for ANY
> help/suggestions.

I don't think that is a solution at this point. Try the
harassment and patient method for a week or two. Scrape well
turn off the filkters during this time and water change right
after(70% or so). Micron on top of it if you have one to
use/borrow. Add some KNO3/more fish food/feedings and perhaps
some PO4 if your tap doesn't have any. I think your bacterial
cycle got fried. It should equilibrate out after a week or two
so just attack it until things stablize. Bully it. Make it's
life hard. Bushy noses will make a slight dent in it.

The major overhaul is sometimes needed etc. Do this part first
then do the water change(big). Try to do it in 2-3 stages at a
time, not all at once. Give a week in between each etc. Keep up
on things during this time. Add NO3 after the first day or two
but add everything else you need to get the levels up to a good
range(CO2, Trace mix, PO4, K). Let things settle down before
adding any NO3 sources.
Tom Barr 

Do You Yahoo!?
Get email at your own domain with Yahoo! Mail.