Re: Useable source of Calcium and Magnesium

> Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 21:09:00 -0700
> From: "Chuck Gadd" <cgadd at cfxc_com>
> Subject: Useable source of Calcium and Magnesium?
>
> At the local health-food store, they have a product that contains Calcium
> Carbonate and Magnesium Oxide, and the other other ingredient is
> cellulose.
<snip>
> Also, it states that each tablet contains 250mg of Calcium as Calcium
> Carbonate.
> Does that mean each tablet contains 250mg of Calcium, or would it be 40%
of
> 250 mg (since 40% of CaCO3 is calcium, if I added right)?

I wondered about the Ca content of "Calcium" pills myself (the kind I take
don't have Mg).  So I weighed the contents of a bottle of 120 of the 600 mg
pills, and determined that each pill weighs about 1.8 g or 1800 mg.  If they
do contain 600 mg Ca, which is 40% of the CaCO3, then the CaCO3 must be 1500
mg.  So, in 1800 mg, there is "room" for the 1500 mg CaCO3 and, therefore,
for the 600 mg Ca.  In other words, I think the label really means that you
get 600 mg Ca, not just 40% of that.  The other 300 mg is probably mostly
starch.
---
John T. Fitch
E-mail: JTFitch at FitchFamily_com