[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

yet another algae problem....

Here's yet another algae problem question....

I have a 90 gal planted tank that has developed one serious problem with a
bright green algae that;
#1)  seems to "spore" and has covered everything from the glass to even the
new plant growth a day after it emerges,
#2)  is not touched by my otos, any of my 3 species of plecos, and 2 species
of flying foxes, and
#3)  is not responding to any of my "natural" efforts to control it.

I do not know what kind of algae it is, but it started after I had given my
tank a major overhaul, and I started using 220 watts of compact fluorescent
lighting.  Initially, after installing these lights, the photo-period was at
12hrs. During the overhaul of the tank, I had changed the water about 200%,
so there was NO ammonia, nitrates, nitrite, etc...and the pH was 7.25.
Because I do have a heavy fish load in this tank, I monitored the chemicals
carefully for the next few days to make sure the plants were taking care of
any ammonia build-up, which they were.  While the plants were responding
nicely, I noticed some small specs of bright green algae growing on the
glass of the tank.  Not thinking much of it at first, in a few days it had
started to spread rapidly. My next move is something I wish I could take
back.  In a moment of incredible stupidity and lack of judgement, I decided
to simply use a razor blade to scrape it off the glass.  When I did so, it
came off the glass is what looked like a "powder," it disintegrated into a
dust that spread to every corner, nook and cranny of the tank, and began to
grow where-ever it landed.  Now it has blanketed everything!

I reduced the photo-period to 8 hours, the KH is about 6, GH is 2-3, the CO2
keeps the pH at about 6.75, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, and phosphorus are
extremely low to zero, and the algae is still growing and spreading to the
new plant growth.  The plants and fish are doing fine- plants are bubbling
and fish as happy as ever.  The water itself is sparkling clear.  The only
filtration I have is a small "hang-on-the-back-of-the-tank" type that I only
have filter media in to remove any particulate matter that may appear in the
tank and to diffuse the CO2 with.

So I throw this to the masses in hopes of a solution other than costly
chemicals or starting over. Thanks in advance for ANY help/suggestions.

Chris Roe,
Fort Collins, CO