Algae, Algae Eaters, Algae

I guess I have to question the wisdom of adding more critters to a tank to
combat an algae (read: nutrient) problem. The implied strategy of the
Sears-Conlin PMDD paper is to increase everything EXCEPT phosphorous (and
maybe nitrogen) in order to drive the tank into a P (and maybe N) limited
condition. I seems to me that adding more fish/shrimp/snails can only
increase P and N since they must eat, and therefore must add to the P and N
equation.  But then again, I seem to one of those people who's opinions
drive others into paroxysms of fear and loathing, so what do I know....

Tom