Re: plant food spikes suitability

In a message dated 3/26/2001 00:50:58 Pacific Standard Time,

> I am unable to find the ferns and palms Jobe's formulation. I
>  did, however, find some spikes from Garden Basics (manufactured by Gro Tec
>  for Wal-Mart) that are formulated at 13-4-5. These spikes nitrogen is 2%
>  nitrate nitrogen, 2% urea nitrogen, 2% water soluble organic nitrogen, and
>  7% water insoluble nitrogen. The package states that: "Plant nutrients
>  derived from Ureaform, Triple Superphosphate and Potassium Nitrate,
Chlorine
>  maximum 0.20%." Are these spikes a suitable substitute for the highly
touted
>  palm and fern spikes by Jobe?

I use 13-4-5 spikes.  My experience with them was that after I broke them
into quarters and inserted 6 of the pieces in a 60g, under mostly
Echinodorus.  3 or 4 days later, I noticed a bit of algae forming on the
glass.  However, being lazy, I didn't scrape it off right away.  About 3 or 4
days after it appeared, it just as suddenly disappeared, and has not
returned.  It has noticeably helped the plants grow, and no further problems
with algae.