Re: Denton water

Hi Group:

First, let me apologize for not changing the subject of my last post. Happy
trigger finger....

Next, please let me clarify: The analysis of the water I posted is NOT that
of MY tap water. It is from a nearby city, where I work. The water that comes
out of MY tap in Oak Point is saline solution. So much sodium that I wonder
whether anyone has studied the incidence of hypertension in my area. :-)  A
couple of years ago, when I posted the analysis of my OAK POINT water, I
distinctly remember Roger Miller telling me I might have a problem with the
high sodium levels preventing calcium uptake. James Purchase (where IS he, by
the way?) said it was the worst water he'd ever seen. I think he was also the
one who said Yuck. :-)

So I am thinking of importing Denton water to Oak Point for the purpose of
weekly water changes. That's why I posted the Denton water analysis to see
what y'all thought of it.

Here is some more information, for those of you still reading...

I have Gomberg CO2 systems on both tanks (10-gallon and 30-gallon). Medium
fish load.

Nitrate 10ppm
pH 6.9 - 7.0
Phosphates 1-2ppm, sometimes higher. Why? Dunno.
GH 5-6 degrees
KH 4-5 degrees
PMDD, dosing KNO3 and K2SO4 separately.

Iron levels right now are at about 1-2ppm. I have fertilized very little in
the past few weeks because the levels just aren't dropping. I also have Jobes
Sticks for Palms & Ferns in the substrate, which is half Fluorite and half
gravel.

25% - 30% water changes every week.

The medium-heavily planted 30-gallon tank has green water that even the
diatom filter won't remove without a flocculant. There is 80 watts of light
over this tank, on 9 hours per day. I suspect high light levels are causing
the green water, but if set the CO2 any higher I kill fish. This has happened
twice. The plants are not using the CO2 fast enough. Why? Something is
missing....

The heavily-planted 10-gallon tank has some BGA, and too little light at 15
watts, on 12 hours per day. I have another fixture on order but am having
customer service problems with getting my merchandise. I suspect the high
phosphate levels in this tank are causing the BGA. But with plenty of
nitrates, the plants should be sucking those phosphates up. Why aren't they?
What's missing? I have used erythromycin a couple of times, but it always
comes back.

Thanks for any suggestions. I am counting on you Tank Detectives out there.
:-)

Cheryl Hofmann
Oak Point, TX