Re: How long does the Fluorite last?

Catherine,
   I haven't grown sword plants, but they've a reputation for needing
a rich substrate.  For example, see "Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #250" at:
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Plants/Echinodorus.html#3
I wonder if you're seeing nitrate deficiency, rather than a transition
from emersed to submersed growth.  Given that neither Flourish nor
Flourish tabs contain nitrates or phosphates, the tabs may not help.
I'd guess this is an application for the Jobs palm & fern spikes
occasionally mentioned here.  My sense is that while a Flourite
substrate needn't be replaced for years, fertilization for heavy root
feeders is recommended.  Those who grow swords will no doubt also
reply.
Alex
Rockville, Md