Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #902

>Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 13:07:55 -0600
>From: "Tom Wood" <tomwood2 at flash_net>
>Subject: OT: Tankful O' Bettas?
>
>If two African Cichlids (of
>some species) are together in a tank, they will fight until one is dead,
>much like Bettas. But if the tank is heavily stocked from the beginning, the
>cichlids will chill out and the aggression never occurs. They have too many
>adversaries to start anything. Has this technique been tried with Bettas?

I don't know the exact answer to that, but my brother-in-law had a planted
tank with many Bettas (about half were males).  He raised them from babies
(i.e., the original couple bred in the tank).  The male Bettas did show
aggression towards each others, but not any more than male Dwarf Gouramis
would.  They would just flare at each other, then one would turn away and
that would end that confrontation.  It was a heavily planted tank though,
with lots of room for them to hide from each other.

Hoa
Aquarium: http://www.geocities.com/nguyenhg/