RE: water changes

> Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 08:11:21 -0500
> From: "Chuck & Kevin Reavis" <creavis1 at triad_rr.com>
> Subject: RE: water changes
>
> Hi,
> I've got another questions for the "chemically" inclined.  I have an extra
> 90 gal tank that I want to use to prep water for water changes without using
> any chemicals to remove the chlorine.  (Our water does not have chloramine,
> thank goodness:)   IF I run tap water into the prep tank and and circulate
> the water for 24 to 48 hrs will I be safe to assume that the chlorine has
> dissapated?   I could use carbon, but I dont want to remove any buffering
> capacity from my water.  Thanks.

Sorry to answer a question with a question, but is there some reason you
can't check it with your chlorine test kit? [They are the only way to be
sure your removal technique is working in your water.]

Not having chloramines is very rare, these days. The usual water report
doesn't ever mention chloramines. They usually report the combination
separately as ammonium and chlorine, even though they are linked chemically.
If yours shows both, in the mg/liter range +/-, you *do* have chloramine.

If your water tests at all positive for chlorine, after 24 hours of good
aeration, you definitely have chloramine, and need to take further action.

Carbon, BTW will remove no buffering from normal tap water, nor will a water
softener.

Wright

--
Wright Huntley, Fremont CA, USA, 510 494-8679  wright at killi dot net

       http://www.atchison.com/Killifish/BAKA-WCW-10.html

     For all you ever wanted to know about West Coast Weekend X
The great killifish show and convention, combined with West Coast Live