Tetra Initial Sticks

Dear Sirs:
Six months ago I set a 30 gal planted aquarium using Tetra Initial
Sticks and 3-4 mm diameter gravel as substrate, strictly following the
manfacturer instructions.  I keep the aquarium at pH 7, 25 degC. Plant
growth is good (not excellent), no major problem with algae and most
fishes (cardinal tetras, serpae tetras, flame tetras) are very healthy
and active. The problem I experience is with the bottom feeders
(corydoras). Every time I have tryied to introduce Corydoras, they begin
to behave abnormally, loose appetite and die between 48 to 72 hours.  I
suspect that this might be the substrate used. I would appreciate your
feedback on this.
Best Regards
Santiago Gonzalez