Re: red melon

Thanks for all the comments re: distorted melon sword. The overwhelming
consensus on and off list was nitrate deficiency. I would not be suprised
by this as I have a rather low fish load and my other nitrogenous
compounds are undetectable. I have another question: "Mike" stated that he
doses nitrates so that his sword leaves do not turn red, I find this
characteristic desirable. The sword in question is a gorgeous blood red
and I'd rather keep it that way. I believe is it a different variety than
my other melon swords which have only red tinges in their new leaves.
Comments?
--Laurel